We’re excited to bring back one of the most renowned names in new product development – Dr. Robert G. Cooper, aka Bob Cooper – to host 2 focused virtual workshops suited to members of all sectors involved in R&D and innovation. Dr. Robert G. Cooper, is President of Product Development Institute & father and creator of the Stage-Gate® system.
Workshop 1: Developing a Product Innovation Strategy for your Business
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat”. Many businesses lack a clearly defined Product Innovation Strategy: they don’t have goals for product Innovation; they have not carefully selected right arenas of strategic focus to be their next engines of growth; and they lack a product roadmap for how to win in those strategic arenas.
Wednesday, 1st June – 1.30 – 5.00pm (Irish time). Virtual via Zoom.
Topics covered in this half-day workshop are:
- Defining goals and objectives for new-product development that align to your business goals.
- Linking your new product portfolio to your business strategy so it produces meaningful competitive advantage.
- How to select arenas of strategic focus – markets, technologies, or products for R&D focus.
- Create deployment plans, spending across new-product efforts (new vs improvements & extensions).
- Road-mapping: selecting major initiatives & developing your strategic product roadmap.
Workshop 2: 5th Generation New Product Development
Find out what’s new in product development… new approaches that result in a steady stream of winning new products. Many Irish firms are already using a stage-and-gate system to drive new products to market. Now discover how this tried-and-proven process has been made faster and better by leading firms globally.
Thursday, 9th June – 1.30 – 5.00pm (Irish time). Virtual via Zoom.
Topics covered in this half-day workshop are:
- How a world class Stage-Gate system should work, building in best practices, and getting the gates right.
- Making the process iterative to get the product right – building in “build and test” iterations.
- Leaning down the process – getting rid of waste & bureaucracy by using value steam analysis (based on Lean Six Sigma).
- Risk-based contingency approaches to product development; dealing with risk in NPD and project evaluation & selection.
- Parallel processing (concurrent execution) – accelerating the NPD process by overlapping activities and even the stages (this approach was used extensively to accelerate the development of Covid vaccines).
- Agile Development, complete with sprints, scums, and demos, to get the product right and speed up development.
Who should attend?
Senior people and mangers in Marketing, Technical (R&D and Engineering), Business Development, Innovation Management, New-Product development; also MD’s.
Each half day workshop will consist of presentations by Bob plus lots of time for interaction: to discuss the approaches, and ask questions.
Dr. Robert Cooper is President of Product Development Institute Inc., Professor Emeritus, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada, and ISBM Distinguished Research Fellow at Penn State University’s Smeal College of Business Administration, USA.
Dr. Cooper is a world expert in the field of new product management. He was named ‘The World’s Top Innovation Management Scholar’ in the U.S. publication, Journal of Product Innovation Management (JPIM) and also ‘the quintessential scholar’ in the field of new products, also in the JPIM. He is one of three Crawford Fellows of the Product Development & Management Association (PDMA). Bob is the father and developer of the Stage-Gate® process, now widely used by leading firms around the world to drive new products to market. He has helped dozens of leading corporations design and implement his Stage-Gate® new products process. He is also the developer of the NewProd® system for screening and diagnosing new product projects.
Dr. Cooper is a thought-leader in the field of product innovation management. He’s published over 120 articles in leading journals on new product management. He is twice winner of the prestigious Maurice Holland Award from the Industrial Research Institute, Washington; five times winner of the UK’s award for the best article in the publication R&D Management; and winner of the Hustad Award for Best Paper of the Year in PDMA’s Journal of Product Innovation Management. He is the winner of the Lee Rivers Award from the Commercial Development & Marketing Association (U.S.) for his contribution to member companies via his Stage-Gate® process. Bob has also written eleven books on new product management, including the popular, “Winning at New Products’” which has become the ‘bible’ for new product development; “Portfolio Management for New Products”, an in-depth guide to picking the right R&D projects for investment; “Product Leadership – Pathways to Profitable Innovation”, a must for every executive’s bookshelf; “Lean Rapid and Profitable New Product Development”; “Generating Breakthrough New Product Ideas” and “Product Innovation and Technology Strategy”.
Note: These workshops will qualify for CPD hours.
Workshops are only available to employees of IRDG member companies. Tickets are priced at just €59 per person per workshop (or €99pp for both) and can be booked here below. Members please contact Mary Byrne for details of the access code to book these tickets or refer to invitation issued by email. Any industry wishing to get more details on membership can also contact Mary by email on the link above.