Whilst many companies are seeking to strengthen their key offering in target markets through developing novel products and services, some may be relatively new to formal R&D processes. The Enterprise Ireland R&D Fund – Small Projects provision is to support companies that want to achieve the following:
- Establish or increase R&D activity leading to an on-going R&D commitment in driving company development.
- A demonstrable connection between R&D and the overall business objectives.
- A culture of innovative thinking throughout the company which aims to harness the skills of all staff towards defined business goals.
- Establish or increase the R&D capability of a company.
- Establish or develop quality R&D management systems and procedures.
Types of activities which may be included are:
- small R&D Projects, defined as applications with expenditure less than €150,000;
- a company may apply for support for up to 3 projects but the total expenditure (across all 3 projects) must be less than €150,000;
- applications are not assessed on a competitive basis;
- in most other respects (funding rates, eligibility of costs etc) the R&D Fund: Small Projects, mirrors the R&D Fund.
ELIGIBILITY: The R&D Fund: Small Projects is open to Enterprise Ireland, Údarás na Gaeltachta and City and County Enterprise Board clients who are manufacturing or internationally traded services companies that can show adequate cash resources to implement the proposed project.
Please note that large companies (i.e. companies who exceed the definition of an SME) are not eligible if they have previously been approved financial support toward R&D in the last seven years from any of the following Agencies; Enterprise Ireland, Shannon Development, Údarás na Gaeltachta or the Industrial Development Authority (IDA).
FUNDING: The maximum grant rates for all companies applying to the R&D Fund is up to 50% of the total cost of the project. Grant rates are determined by the size of your company as follows:
- Small Company: 45%
- Medium Company: 35%
- Large Company: 25%
A collaboration bonus of up to 15% is available for innovative projects where there is collaboration between two companies, but the total maximum funding cannot exceed 50% of the total project cost.