Our first Innovation Practice Group visit of 2020 brings us to the fantastic global research & development hub of Becton Dickinson (BD) in Limerick. These visits are designed for innovation leaders from all industries to benefit from the cross-sectoral exposure and sharing of R,D&I practices.
Wednesday, 12th February, from 9.00am to 1.30pm
BD – Research Centre Ireland
BD is a leading global medical technology company with more than 65,000 employees worldwide. Since 1964, BD has invested significantly in creating Irish jobs and now employs more than 1300 highly skilled workers in Drogheda, Dun Laoghaire, Enniscorthy and Limerick. Building on this long history of success in Ireland, BD established Research Centre Ireland (RCI) Limerick in February 2017 as a global research & development hub located in Castletroy, Limerick.
RCI is a new state-of-the-art facility adjacent to the University of Limerick campus. RCI develop innovative technologies to improve biomedical discovery, clinical diagnosis of disease, and the delivery of care for patients and health care workers. The site currently employs over 220 experts in software development, software testing, systems engineering, mechanical and electronic engineering, project management, quality and biosciences including immunology. The diverse, collaborative team brings together people from 27 countries working in multidisciplinary teams to solve problems and advance the world of health.
On the Agenda
This IRDG Innovation Practice Group visit will provide an opportunity to visit a leading global research & development hub and meet the senior leadership team. Topics on the agenda will include:
- A brief introduction to what BD does and how Research Centre Ireland (RCI) was born
- An introduction to BD’s new product development process and how they project manage their innovation pipeline
- The culture of collaboration fostered by BD – e.g. the benefits of scientists and engineers working in close proximity to each other
- How interaction with the customer supports researchers’ and developers’ work
- Sharing of further activities run by BD to encourage creative thinking and teamwork, e.g. a Hackathon they ran recently and other initiatives which contribute to employee engagement and performance at the site.
- Tour of Facilities
As always, it will also provide a superb opportunity to network and share experiences with fellow senior innovation people from across a diverse range of companies.
See some insight to life on site at BD here
This visit is exclusively organised for IRDG members, and capacity is limited. Please only book to attend if you are definite you can do so. Maximum two people per company initially (this may need to be reduced if demand exceeds availability).
Note: A waiting list will be in operation once any available places have been booked, so please do join that if you wish to attend and we will come back to you if cancellations arise. Contact Mary Byrne for any assistance – email@example.com